Re: PS/2 Mouse

On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 08:31:24PM +0000, john gennard wrote:
> I've built a third box to experiment and learn - it's time I really
> Now whilst the mouse works with each of the three non-Debian distros,
> it does not with either Storm or Potato (I mean within X). I think
> I've traced the problem but have no idea how to eradicate it. On
> Potato /dev/mouse is linked to /dev/gpmdata. So it was on Storm until
> I altered that link to /dev/psaux which I assumed to be correct. The
> mouse works on neither. I'd not heard of gpm before - I've looked at
> man gpm but do not completely understand its relevance, is it not for
> console work?

Yes -- it allows you to cut-and-paste from the console.

A few relevant lines from my /etc/X11/XF86Config:

Section "Pointer"
   Protocol        "Intellimouse"
   Device          "/dev/gpmdata"
   Resolution      100
   Buttons         3
EndSection

(FWIW, the above was cut-and-pasted using gpm at the console.)

At first, I didn't really like the fact that Debian, by default, uses gpm
for its X mouse device.  Since then, I've changed my mind; if something
gets screwed up with the mouse, I've always been able to run
"/etc/init.d/gpm restart" and fix the problem.  I've no idea how one would
reset the mouse in X without exiting and restarting.

--
Bill Jonas                | "If you haven't gotten where you're going,
bill@billjonas.com        |  you aren't there yet." --George Carlin