Re: Questions i can't answer

Carson,

The pseduo-image-generator works fine under linux.  The only time I
tried to use it on Windows (at a friends' house), it did keep on dying
for me as well and it was horribly slow.  I tended to believe that
this was confined to its operation on that platform.

You can always buy pre-stamped disks including Debian.  I've, in the
past, used linuxmall.com, which often sells them for somewhere around
$2 per distro plus s/h (also can get FreeBSD, etc. there).  People on
this list have mentioned cheapbytes as another source.

On your other questions, I'd stick with Debian if I were you and
encourage you to consider the benefit of a separate partition for
/usr/local (for your personally-compiled binaries).

One of the best intro books to linux that I've ever seen is:

LINUX, Second Edition: Installation, Configuration, and Use
by Michael Kofler

Explains concepts behind many key programs in a typical linux distro,
outside of core linux: including emacs, vi, TeX, LaTeX, Gimp, Apache,
etc...

HTH,

Daniel

--
Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics