Re: Monolithic kernels and init scripts

Ethan Benson schrieb:

> odd that it didn't apply cleanly, i made it against a potato kerneld
> script... (maybe your not following security updates, modutils was
> upgraded about 5 times to fix the same bug recently...)

Yup. You got me. No security updates applied.
(Definitely not a -pnum argument of patch issue.)

patch gave me `Hunk #1 FAILED at 5.' Still don't
know why (looking at those files). Interested in
a .rej file and/or --debug=2 output from patch?   ;-}

> i don't see why that should matter really, i know people to just drop
> the kernel in / and things work properly.

That's the way I always went before kernel 2.2.

> you do need to put the
> System.map-`uname -r` in /boot or else some things may complain.

Sorry, this didn't do the trick (still getting complaints
from depmode/insmode/modprobe). Must be s'th else from an
existing (module-enabled) /boot directory that shows me
warnings if booted from /otherdir using a non-modularized
kernel (most probably shame on me for not reading all
available docs --- or not removing /boot at all).

scr