Monolithic kernels and init scripts

Hi all!

I´m a litte confused about init scripts from /etc/init.d
when used booting from a monolithic (ie.e non-modularized)
kernel (beeing new to debian *and* 2.2 kernels).

It looks like (I haven´t digged deeply) those scripts
`modutils´ and `kerneld´ from /etc/init.d are responsible
for several warnings I get during boot of a hand-rolled
kernel (I think it´s kernel-source from plain potato,
although I have "unofficial" CDs).

Well, I get several warnings because
modules are not implemented at all
   *and*
kerneld gets started
although I don´t need all this stuff (I think).

Is there a mistake in those /etc/inid.d scripts?
Shouldn´t a "autodetection" if booted from a monolithic
kernel be built into them?
Well, I could remove some scripts/symlinks, but then
a modularized kernel wouldn´t boot, right?

Thanks in advance,
scr