Re: Woody Progress

>In closing, I'd like to ask another (related) question. Is there some
>particular piece of software that you think Woody is waiting for that will
>be here in a years time? GCC 3.0 perhaps?

1. GCC 3.0 - good call
2. Kernel 2.4 - add a couple releases after the initail release to stabilize it
even more
3. new installer - someone else mentioned it, but this is a definite in my book

Most of the other stuff is not so important, IMHO. GNOME and KDE are not vital
to have a system up and running. XF4 is questionable. Many people run X, so,
this could be considered important. In the meantime, XF4 keeps getting better
with more drivers as well as improved/optimized drivers. Wasn't there also
discussion for more features/changes to the package management system?

I'd guess 1-3 months after ALL of those three items are released is when they'll
(the debain gods) start to plan a freeze. Of course, it could be a year beyond
that the freeze will even complete! Until then, enjoy Woody:)

Scott

PS: Don't quote me on any of this as I'm just speculating.