Re: Woody Progress

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Richard Taylor wrote:
> > > of many reasons Debian is the only linux I use.
> > > Also, those of us who read the lists understand what the reasons are, and
> > > to my mind, they were sound, but up until recently, the `man on the street'
> > > still sees us as the last distro to not have KDE.
> >
> > And it's a true statement. But, IMHO, Kde is crap anyway. ;)
> >
> But as I keep trying to explain, the views of you and others like you matter -
> they matter a lot, but so do the views of Joe Average... IMHO, of course.

Yes, of course their opinions matter. But they're not going to be what's
driving debian, simply because 99% of debian developers do things for
themselves. That's the way volunteer projects work. So, other things come
way before joe averages, simply because joe average isn't working on it.

> I can only ask, what do you mean? I wouldn't call it just barely - I admit
> it was recent, but you know darned well that potato was stable for _months_
> before it was officially dubbed stable. I was using it for six months before
> the release, with not one show-stopping problem. Besides, isn't that the way
> that it should work. One out, give the next one a month or two, then freeze?
> I mean a code freeze is _not_ a release, it doesn't mean we stop testing, and
> it doesn't mean we stop bugfixes. I admit, I could be very wrong here, but
> another year, before Debian Woody comes out, seems a long time. Potato is
> a fine release. A FINE release. Woody just has some stuff in it that is far
> too nice to make users wait a year for. :-)

I'll take part of that back. I wouldn't mind to see More freezes, and more
releases. I think it'd bring more people to Debian, as well as you do. I
just don't think that should be the REASON to do it.

> > The thing is, debian is NOT going to throw together a distribution release
> > and just call it stable. RedHat would. They consider rh7.0 to be a nice,
> > stable release. Any debian user/developer would SCOFF at that.
> >
> One hundred percent true, RH7 is a cow. I find it hard to believe they are
> using a _known to be unstable_ GCC. This would never happen in Debian.
> I can't disagree with you there.
> OTOH, I wouldn't call Woody oh-so terribly unstable - not from my personal
> experience of it, which has been minimal, but you hear developers reccomending
> it on the debian-user list, if it is needed to solve a specific problem, so
> my reasoning is that it must be there-or-there-about. When I wrote my first
> message, I didn't expect to hear `Next week, mate!, but I didn't expect to
> hear a full year, either. Shame, really. Of course, I'll still keep on using
> Debian, and reccomending it to all my friends.

I pulled the 'year' idea from earlier posts here... And i wasn't referring
to the freeze, but the actual release.

> In closing, I'd like to ask another (related) question. Is there some
> particular piece of software that you think Woody is waiting for that will
> be here in a years time? GCC 3.0 perhaps?

Maybe. That's something to consider. Of course, we could save that for the
next one.

The one that actually pops into my mind for this is the new installer.

I'd like to say, though, that I want the freezes/releases to happen more
often, but not at the sacrifice of anything else that makes debian
debian.

   < <"What Am I Doing? I'm Quietly Judging You." --Frank TJ Mackey> >
  <         <Rando Christensen / An illuzion worth believing>         >
 <  <illuzionz@xanthor.net>  <eyez@xanthor.net>  <eyez@fragments.net>  >