man: hanging indented lists without space between items?

Hi people,

As the subject says, I'd like to have a list with hanging indentation in a
manual page. Basically, I want to see this list in xmms(1):

       * Audio MPEG layer 1, 2, and 3 (with mpg123 plug-in),
       * WAV, RAW, AU (with internal wav plug-in and MikMod plug-
         in),
       *  MOD,  XM,  S3M,  and  other module formats (with MikMod
         plug-in),
       * CD Audio (with CDAudio plug-in), with CDDB support,
       * .cin files, id Software,
       * Ogg Vorbis files.

(notice the 3rd and 5th line, that's the hanging indent, two columns)

I figured how to use `.HP 2', but that gives me one blank line between each
list item, and I don't want that. I read man(7), mdoc{,.samples}(7) and
groff_man(7) but didn't manage to find help. Does anyone have any advice?

TIA.