Re: Dual booting Debian and MacOS (was <no subject>)

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 12:57:57AM -0500, disco No disco wrote:
> hello - If I am using a Mac and OS 9.0.4 can I switch between my current OS
> and yours or is it one ot the other?

yes it is possible to dual boot your machine between MacOS and Debian,
the way you accomplish this varies based on what kind of PowerMac you
have.  if its a so called `NewWorld' you need to setup the yaboot
bootloader with the ybin utility which will allow you to create a dual
boot menu.  i wrote ybin to replicate lilo's functionality as closely
as possible, you can find information on this at my web site (see
.sig)  if you have an Oldworld box (beige colored powermacs are
oldworld, the translucent colored machines are newworld)  you can
setup the quik bootloader, but unless you have a recent system that
may require a serial terminal to see the quik boot: prompt.  you can
also use BootX which is a MacOS based loader (but do not use BootX on
a newworld its not compatible with those)

another option you might want to look at is using MacOnLinux which is
a GPLed virtualization layer that allows you to run MacOS as a
GNU/Linux application either in full screen mode or in an X window.
(similar to how VMware operates).  currently there is no MOL packages
for debian but with some patching it can be compiled on Debian and
works quite well.

you should subscribe to debian-powerpc as well, there are not many
people on the -user list familier with powerpc and Mac hardware.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/