Re: upgrading ide->scsi+ide

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 07:51:41AM +0100, Robert Waldner wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Since xmas comes I thought this might be a good time to play santa
> claus with me and putting in a scsi-disk for all except my mp3s, which
> will continue to reside on the already built-in ide-drive.
>
> Now there are a few questions bothering me:
> - what do I have to be aware of to be able to boot from the scsi-drive
>   rather than the ide one?

your BIOS needs to support booting from SCSI, usually this involves
handing off the boot process to the SCSI card's BIOS which also must
support booting on an x86.  (i assume this is an x86 since you mention
lilo)

> - what´s the best way of transferring all the data from the various
>   partitions from the ide-drive? I guess integrating the scsi-drive,
>   booting from diskette, partitioning, formatting, moving the data
>   (like in the harddisk-upgrade-howto to be sure no permissions etc
>   mangle up), but what about /dev ? Then run lilo, all´s fine? Can´t be
>   that easy...

cpio is my preferred choice for that, i usually do it partition by
partition like so:

cd /
find . -mount -depth | cpio -dmpv /mnt

for the root partition.

cd /usr
find . -mount -depth | cpio -dmpv /mnt/usr

and so on for every partition.

that combination seems to correctly preserve all metadata and special
files, and does not ruin mod dates on directories.  add -a to cpio to
preserve access times.

as for lilo, you can try chrooting into the newly copied system and
running lilo, that should work but i won't promise anything.  if lilo
gives you grief try grub its much less fragile if a bit harder to
install initially.  grub however only needs to be installed once,
unlike lilo which must be installed every time you touch anything.

> - I have a NCR53c810 scsi-2 controller already serving a cd-recorder
>   and a tapedrive. From all I´m able to dig up it _should_ be able to
>   run a IBM DNES-309170 (IBM states a "Ultra SCSI, Fast, Fast&Wide"
>   interface&connector) drive, but what about reality?

that should work...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/