Re: executable compatible with Debian and Redhat?

Thanks to D-Man. I'm enclosing what I got from the gcc.gnu.org
website. Yes, RH7.0 is using 2.96 gcc compiler. Not only this may
produce incompatible binary codes, it also has trouble working with
gdb 5.0. Gdb cannot access locally declared variables in C++ code. I
was really scratching my head when I noticed that problem.

People would expect stability and high quality from commercial tools
and people pay for these features. It's hard to believe Redhat use the
unstable gcc 2.96 despite the very warning from the very producer.

Jinsong

It has come to our attention that some GNU/Linux distributions are
currently shipping with ``GCC 2.96''.

We would like to point out that GCC 2.96 is not a formal GCC release
nor will there ever be such a release. Rather, GCC 2.96 has been the
code- name for our development branch that will eventually become GCC
3.0.

Current snapshots of GCC, and any version labeled 2.96, produce object
files that are not compatible with those produced by either GCC 2.95.2
or the forthcoming GCC 3.0. Therefore, programs built with these
snapshots will not be compatible with any official GCC
release. Actually, C and Fortran code will probably be compatible, but
code in other languages, most notably C++ due to incompatibilities in
symbol encoding (``mangling''), the standard library and the
application binary interface (ABI), is likely to fail in some
way. Static linking against C++ libraries may make a binary more
portable, at the cost of increasing file size and memory use.

To avoid any confusion, we have bumped the version of our current
development branch to GCC 2.97.

Please note that both GCC 2.96 and 2.97 are development versions; we
do not recommend using them for production purposes.  Binaries built
using any version of GCC 2.96 or 2.97 will not be portable to systems
based on one of our regular releases.

If you encounter a bug in a compiler labeled 2.96, we suggest you
contact whoever supplied the compiler as we can not support 2.96
versions that were not issued by the GCC team.