Re: executable compatible with Debian and Redhat?

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 07:56:46AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> Does anybody know if executables compiled on Debian unstable, which now
> has glibc-2.2, will run on Red Hat 7.0 and its almost-2.2 glibc? Or vice
> versa, with a compatible gcc? I'd hope so, but as far as I know none of
> the Red Hat boxes at work are later than 6.2 and I don't intend to run
> RH at home.

I use quite a variety of Linux distributions in the course of my work (I am
a freelance developer and remote administrator), and I have not gotten
RedHat 7.0 binaries to work on any of them (I have tried). None of the
systems I administer runs RedHat 7.0 or Woody, so I cannot comment on how
packages from one run on the other. However, from everything I have heard
the problem is primarily a gcc one, so I suspect that Woody and RedHat 7.0
are not compatible.

--
Harry Henry Gebel, ICQ# 76308382
West Dover Hundred, Delaware