Re: Log rotation error

Thanks that fixed my error. I did not have the file you mentioned so I created and edited it..

At 10:49 AM 12/1/2000 -0500, you wrote:

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 09:09:13AM -0500, Eileen Orbell wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have this error emailed to me daily from root.  Does anyone know how I
> can repair this?  I recall I had this when I used RH but can not remember
> how to fix it?
>
> Thanks
>
> errors occured while rotating /var/log/mysql.err
> /usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'
> error running postrotate script

Do you have a file called .my.cnf in root's home directory with a
[mysqladmin] section?  If not, this is the problem.  Add the following
lines to the .my.cnf file (if you're creating new, make sure it's
root-only readable):

[mysqladmin]
password        = <pwd>
user            = root

where <pwd> is of course the same password you use when invoking
mysql -u root -p, etc.

HTH,
--Tim

Timothy Burt