Re: Home network with Debian

On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 12:01:25AM -0600, will trillich wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 10:35:33PM -0700, JD Kitch wrote:
> > Is that the only file that needs to be changed?  How do I determine
> > the IP, netmask, and gateway for eth1, and then for the internal
> > machine?
> i use 192.168.*.* for mine. my public linux box is also
> privately 192.168.1.1, which is what all the other boxes
> around here refer to as their gateway or default route.
> other machines are anything from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.254.254
> and anything else in between.
>
> 	# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
>
> 	# The loopback interface
> 	iface lo inet loopback
>
> 	# my internal / private LAN section:
> 	iface eth0 inet static
> 		address 192.168.1.1
> 		netmask 255.255.255.0
> 		network 192.168.0.0
> 		broadcast 192.168.1.255
>
> 	# the part the 'rest of the world' can see
> 	iface eth1 inet static
> 		address 208.33.90.85
> 		netmask 255.255.255.0
> 		network 208.33.90.0
> 		broadcast 208.33.90.255
> 		gateway 208.33.90.84
> 		# the gateway there is actually my cablemodem!

OK, this all helps.  I'm guessing I'll just pick an IP from that
same block for the wife's machine.  Is that true, and if so will I
point to my cable providers DNS server, or do I need to do something
else internally?

> ALSO be sure to get the ipmasq package
>
> 	apt-get install ipmasq

Did this.  Now it suggests a different package for Identd, which I
tried, but gave up on, so hopefully the "normal" pkg will work ok.

> one problem we ran into -- my wife's windo~1 box seems to be
> scanning for some service when it first starts up, and she can't
> get connected for more than a minute. after a few minutes, she's
> fine. we can't figure out what the drag is. if you have this
> too, and can solve it, LEMME KNOW!

I'll let you know I get everything working.

Thanks!
jdk