Re: Home network with Debian

On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 10:35:33PM -0700, JD Kitch wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 06:39:46PM -0800, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> > I have a similar setup to yours and edited /etc/network/interfaces to
> > add the address, netmask and broadcast address for my second ethernet
> > card.  After doing this running (as root) '/etc/init.d/networking
> > restart' should initialize the interfaces.  For masquerading, you need
> > to make sure your kernel has firewall, ip firewall and ip masquerade
> > support included.  I compiled these into the kernel instead of using
> > modules, but that should work as well.  If you install the ipchains
> > package, it should set up a reasonable set of firewall rules for you.
>
> Is that the only file that needs to be changed?  How do I determin
> the IP, netmask, and gateway for eth1, and then for the internal
> machine?

your public ip numbers are handed out by your isp. if
you've been online successfully, then that part won't
change.

when you add a second network card to your box, you can
play with your own IP numbers internally, and fortunately
there are a few ranges set aside for you to do just that.

i use 192.168.*.* for mine. my public linux box is also
privately 192.168.1.1, which is what all the other boxes
around here refer to as their gateway or default route.
other machines are anything from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.254.254
and anything else in between.

	# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

	# The loopback interface
	iface lo inet loopback

	# my internal / private LAN section:
	iface eth0 inet static
		address 192.168.1.1
		netmask 255.255.255.0
		network 192.168.0.0
		broadcast 192.168.1.255

	# the part the 'rest of the world' can see
	iface eth1 inet static
		address 208.33.90.85
		netmask 255.255.255.0
		network 208.33.90.0
		broadcast 208.33.90.255
		gateway 208.33.90.84
		# the gateway there is actually my cablemodem!

ALSO be sure to get the ipmasq package

	apt-get install ipmasq

as it'll do much work for little sweat, once you
get your intranet hooked up.

one problem we ran into -- my wife's windo~1 box seems to be
scanning for some service when it first starts up, and she can't
get connected for more than a minute. after a few minutes, she's
fine. we can't figure out what the drag is. if you have this
too, and can solve it, LEMME KNOW!

--
See, if you were allowed to keep the money, you wouldn't
create jobs with it. You'd throw it in the bushes or

will@serensoft.com    ***    http://www.dontUthink.com/

volunteer to document your experience for next week's
newbies -- http://www.eGroups.com/messages/newbieDoc