X dies immediately after starting

Yesterday I exited X and the next time I tried to restart it, it died
without any error messages.  I tried switching to a different window
manager with update-alternatives, but that made no difference.  I am
running woody and there have been no X upgrades since the switch to
testing, so I am at a loss to figure this out.  I use xserver-svga,
since my Cirrus card is only partially supported by XFree 4.01.

What is really strange about this is that I can run win4lin with the
'fwin' command, indicating that at least part of X is functional.

Any ideas?

Bob

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net