Re: X dies immediately after starting

On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 02:41:14PM -0500, searcher wrote:

> Bob Nielsen wrote:
>
> > Yesterday I exited X and the next time I tried to restart it, it died
> >  without any error messages.  I tried switching to a different window
> >  manager with update-alternatives, but that made no difference.  I am
> >  running woody and there have been no X upgrades since the switch to
> >  testing, so I am at a loss to figure this out.  I use xserver-svga,
> >  since my Cirrus card is only partially supported by XFree 4.01.
> >
> >  What is really strange about this is that I can run win4lin with the
> >  'fwin' command, indicating that at least part of X is functional.
> >
> >  Any ideas?
>
> Not sure if this will do it, but you can try:
>
> 	dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common

Strange, that dies with the message

mv: cannot create regular file 'etc/X11/Xwrapper.config': No such file
or directory.

Possibly dpkg-reconfigure is broken(??).  It saved the old file with a
~at the end of the filename and created a temp file, which was
identical.

I copied the temp file to Xwrapper.config and found that I am able to
run startx as root, but if I try as a regular user, X dies immediately
after starting with no error message.

Xwrapper.config says:

allowed_users=console
nice_value=-10

This *should* allow any console user to run X.

Bob