Re: Linux does not run on my new motherboard :(

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000 19:09:10 -0800
Rob Hudson <rob@eugene.net> wrote:

> I was planning on buying this board soon, so I'm interested in the
> possibly solutions.  Let me see if I got this right...
>
> (1) Use the UDMA-66 controller.
>
> (2) Compile a kernel with the UDMA-100 support in it (either on
> another machine, or when using the UDMA-66), and boot from that.
>
> But if you have an empty system, how do you install debian?  Are
> there docs on how to make an installation boot disk with certain
> modules compiled into the kernel?

I recently rebuilt my machine using a Soltek SL-75KV2 motherboard, also
UDMA 100 compatible. What I did was build a kernel to support the new
board *before* I installed it, on the old machine and used the same hard
drive in the new machine. I then used Partition Magic to copy over the
partition to the new drive and everything worked perfectly.

What I used was the 2.2.18 kernel source which I patched with the
ide.2.2.18.12.09 kernel patch which I found at:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/ide-2.2.18/

I made sure I compiled in support for what was going to be my new system
(as well as the old, for now.)

When I built the new machine it supported my new drive at the correct ATA
66 mode, and the old drive at ATA 33. All the features on the motherboard
were correctly identifies, as was the new AMD Duron 800 CPU.

Another suggestion is to temporarily use a bog-standard IDE cable to the
new drive - one which isn't ATA 66 compatible. This will force the machine
to see the drive as, at most, ATA 33 and should work OK. Once the new
kenel is patched and build you should be able to switch cables again.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Storm Linux 2000