Re: Another Question Re: diskless debian

On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 07:26:38AM -0500, Jonathan D. Proulx wrote:

> I'm trying to boot from a LILO based floppy with root=/dev/nfsroot
> (the pseodo device 0,255 named in the docs, tried it as both a block
> and char device), and the kernel fails on trying to mount the rootfs
> with a device failure.

I'm happy with Etherboot (http://etherboot.sourceforge.net/), which
you can use to create a ROM-Image loaded via BootROM, bootdisk or
LiLo. The image receives the kernel as NetBootImage using tftp or nfs.
Configure the netbootimage to use the values from boot-rom.

> I enabled kernel level auto config, and all the NFS stuff I could find
> in the kernel build (serveral iterations using xconfig, menuconfig,
> config and finally hand hacking the .config file) couldn't find the
> NFS_ROOT option anywhere, and I'm loath to just add it to the .config,
> not knowing if it's supported in 2.2.17

If you enable 'IP: kernel-level configuration support' and its options
*and* NFS filesystem support (not as a module!) 'Root file system on
NFS (NEW)' will appear under NFS support. Shurely, your network
interface must not be a module.

--
Bye,
Dietmar