Re: configuring network card solved.

>>>>> "xucaen" == Xucaen  <xucaen@yahoo.com> writes:
    xucaen>  I just want to say upfront that I have nothing but good
    xucaen> intentions. If my words sound harsh or unfriendle, it is not
    xucaen> meant to be so...

I know. Your email didn't sound harsh or unfriendly. I just felt I had
to reply to it because all too often I talk to people who complain about
Debian's installation being so difficult (which it is for newbies), and
I try and emphasize to them that the installation is a task you
generally perform once or twice.

We don't want to give newbies the idea that the only way to reconfigure
network interfaces in Debian is by reinstalling the _whole_ thing.

    >> going to give advice to newbies, make sure it is good
    >> advice. Reinstalling Debian just to reconfigure the network
    >> interfaces is overkill to say the least, and bad advice to give
    >> to newbies who are
    xucaen>  it is better than "see 'man gateways'"
    xucaen>

No its not. See what I said above. The better thing to say is "I don't
know exactly how, but if you (the newbie) post to debian-user mailing
list, experienced Debian users will be able to give you a definitive
answer".

The thing is that newbies need to learn Debian administration tasks the
proper way. Telling a newbie to reinstall Debian just to reconfigure
network interfaces is not good, because the newbie might just say "screw
Debian. I am just going back to my good ol' PurpleSocks Linux which has
GUI tools to do network interface configuration".

I'll admit that "see 'man gateways'" is too terse an answer, and
unfortunately sometimes that is the best you get from this list on
certain topics.

    >> probably just getting over the install. Yeah, ask them to do it
    >> one more time!
    xucaen>  I've done it 4 times this week. it's kinda fun.  ;-)
    xucaen>

Fun for you maybe, but not fun for people who are having trouble
configuring X or are having package dependancy problems or are trying to
get PPP going or are trying to setup sound or are trying to get their
CD-ROM working or are ...

    xucaen>  I did not know about this file.. well documented?.. does
    xucaen> that mean it gives examples?  I've noticed that man has
    xucaen> wonderful definitions but never any examples..  well, I'll
    xucaen> see for myself once I get linux re-re-reinstalled again..
    xucaen> ;-)
    xucaen>

The man page describes the syntax for the /etc/network/interfaces very
clearly. You don't say whether you are using a static IP configuration,
or a dynamic one using DHCP. Both methods are described in the man page
for /etc/network/interfaces.

    xucaen>  rtfm? never!!  ;-)
    xucaen>

Of course, you have to know to read first ;)

    xucaen>  I'm sorry, please don't misunderstand me.. but last week
    xucaen> after installing for the very first time I didn't even
    xucaen> _have_ man. and everyone told me "see man ..." but I didn't
    xucaen> have it.. I had to install it..  it's nice to sometimes find
    xucaen> at least an example, or an alternative to man.
    xucaen>

Ok, you are right about that. But check out the package documentation in
/usr/doc/<package-name>. If you don't have manpages installed, you can
always look at the package docs in /usr/docs to see if that will get you
going.

    xucaen>  this would be great!  I couldn't help thinking how nice it
    xucaen> would be to be able to run the installation program again
    xucaen> just to configure bits and pieces that I may have missed...

Actually, the Debian installer should be using config programs/tools,
that are still available to the administrator after the install has been
completed, to allow reconfiguration of various parts of the system
easily.

I expect that for the next major release of Debian (woody), the
installer will be much better.

    xucaen> ahh well, all this re-installing can only make me an expert
    xucaen> at ..well, installing debian!  ;-)

And I'll concede one more point to you: reinstalling Debian will
definitely help you understand the installer/install-time options
better, and once you have the installation done right you will have a
good base system from which to proceed further.

But just know that you do not have to reinstall Debian to tweak and
reconfigure the system. And telling newbies to reinstall Debian to do
that, no matter how many smilies you use, just isn't good advice.

We all need to do our bit to make sure that new users do not get
intimidated by Debian, and go back to their OrangeVest Linux distro that
has GUI config tools.

    xucaen>
    xucaen> happy holidays!!!
    xucaen>

Happy holidays to you too!!!

PS: If you have any other configuration issues with your Debian
installation, speak up now and we'll try and help you in ways that won't
require you to reinstall Debian.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com