Re: downgrade from Woody to Potato - Yes, I too wish you would explain....

On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 06:36:33PM +0100, Stephan Engelke wrote:
> the seleciton list back in to dpkg (dpkg --set-selections),  but if you
> want the system to be identical to the one you had before, running
> dpkg  --set-selections and initialing the install process (e.g. by running
> dselect) should  give you the same system as before.  Replace the system's
> /etc directory with your backup and you should be all set.

Fast question, very newbie-ish, just needing validation...  :)

Does the get/set-selections procedure work with apt-get, or does apt do its
own thing?  I.e.:

	dpkg --get-selections > WhatsWanted
	tar cf etcBackup /etc 	(and other dirs as wanetd... e.g. ~/ and
				/usr/local )
	(wipe disk/reinstall basic)
	dpkg --set-selections < WhatsWanted
	apt-get update
	apt-get dist-upgrade

Of course, the same applies to dselect using apt, yes?

TIA,

Kenward
--
It is not so very important for a person to learn facts.  For that he
doesn't really need a college education, for he can learn them from