Q: Hiding M$ Exchange behind a firewall ?

Hello to all!

What I want to do:
Hiding a M$-Exchange-server behind a Debian-based firewall running
ipchains (with masqerading) and squid and ???. Here is my special
problem.

What is the configuration:
Through an old little Cisco 1003 router the connection to internet is
done.
Then I run a Debian-Box with 2 interfaces. One for the DMZ and one for
internal net. In the internal net users are served by exchanger-server.

What I tried:
Using sendmail as MTA to do the transfer between the DMZ and internal
net.
It was driving me creazy with all his antirelaying stuff. This can be a
problem of just not understanding the matters.
I've running in an other environment sendmail with virtual users and
masquerading of domains, serving several users through IMPA-server, but
as an endpoint in the transfer-chain. So some very basic understanding I
have how to handle sendmail.

What do I need:

1.
I don't know what software I should run on the firewall to catch all
incoming smtp-traffic and deliver it to the internal net ->
Exchange-server and vice versa. The exchange server understands only
smtp.

2.
In which way should it be done ?
Installing an MTA (which one?)on the Debian-box or to transfer all
traffic directly to the internal net by forwarding(how to do this ?).

Please can you give me some hints in which direction I should
investigate ?
I'm shure some of you have solved this problem already.

Best regards
Michael

--
Michael Steiner, Minorgasse 35, A-1140 Vienna, Austria