Re: Went Debian: Spanish Xkeyboard and other issues

On 22 Dec 00, at 9:06, Colin Watson wrote:

> The task-spanish package is probably the best place to start.
...snipped....

Many thanks for your help, Colin.

Task-spanish is supposedly installed, and "Spanish" indicated as
language in all the concerning questions during the installation.
When your Xkeyboard is asked during X configuration, Spanish is
not offered in the list. First time, I selected "none" expecting to be
able to correct that lately, but X refused to start. Next time I
installed potato, selected "US-International" and could use the
system at least. I hope this question will be easily solved by some
Spanish Debian user (there are a few in the list, very helpful all of
them).

The number of dependence problems which arose from my
updating attempts was so high that it would be an abuse to bother
the list with them. I've been adviced against unofficial woody CD-
images, and maybe the problem is that I've got packages needing
Gnome 1.0.5 which cannot be upgraded to the versions which
would work with Gnome 1.2. Maybe there are are in woody now,
but not in my CDs (although they were downloaded this last
monday). Unfortunately, upgrading my home system (the
concerned one, since I only have direct connection to the Internet
here in the work, where I'm obliged to use Windows --not for long, I
hope) via a ppp connection is unaffordable for me.

There is one thing in your message, nonetheless, which surprises
me: Mozilla M18 being in potato now. When I was preparing my
migration to Debian, I was told in the group that there are not
updates to potato (save security fixes). All updates go to woody,
and I would never get gnome 1.2, XFree 4, KDE2, etc. for potato.
Wasn't that true?

Finally, I believe I'm going to freshly install potato to start from a
"brand new" system, and will try to upgrade packages step by step
using dselect. I've been trying it, and it's daunting, since debian
packages are quite different from RedHat's, but I believe I'll manage.

Again, many thanks for your help

Dr. Rodolfo Canet-Castello
Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Agrarias (IVIA)
Dpto. Recursos Naturales
Aptdo. oficial. 46113-Moncada (Valencia). ESPAÑA-SPAIN.
Phone: 34-96-1391000      Fax: 34-96-1390240
Web page: http://www.ivia.es
Web page of Spanish Group of Soil Enzymology:
http://www.ivia.es/soilenzymology/