Re: [debian-user] I can't type any ü, ä or ö in a shell

On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 12:06:00AM +0100, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:

> Hi!
>
> >--[Ethan Benson]--<erbenson@alaska.net>
> > actually you just have to change LANG=C in /etc/environment to
> > LANG=ca_ES or whatever.
>
> This used to work, but somehow since a few weeks /etc/environment isn't
> honoured anymore by KDE. How can I make it work?

i assume you mean kdm or some other display manager.  many of these
are broken and don't properly source /etc/environment.

wdm from unstable currently works if you add pam_env.so to its pam
file.  for others that dont work right with pam you can add a kludge
to /etc/X11/Xsession:

# If /etc/environment is present, source it. It's useful to put
default
# environment settings in this file, and then source it both here and
in
# /etc/profile.
if [ -f /etc/environment ]; then
    eval env "`cat /etc/environment`"