swap space and memory

When I partitioned my hard drive, I noticed that I was
unable to make a swap partition of 128 MB. For
whatever reason, the largest partition I was able to
make was 122 MB. Why is this? Also I've noticed that
all of my memory isn't detected either. Why is this? I
have 128 MB installed, but this is what is reported by
free

        total used  free   shared    buffers
cached
Mem:    124    120    3      45         17         42
Swap:   122      0  122
Total:  246    120  125