Re: Firewall for use with cable modem?

Gary Hennigan wrote:

> Manegold <manegold@uni-trier.de> writes:
> > ktb wrote:

> > >         Install something like "pmfirewall" or "seawall."  I've used
> > >         pmfirewall before and it is simple to set up.  Basically what
> > >         these two scripts do is write ipchains rules for you based on
> > >         some of the questions you answer.  I don't have any urls' handy
> > >         but they should be easy to find.  After installing your chains
> > >         take a look at them and learn from them.  One other thing you
> > >         might think about is getting a cheap or free 486 and make it
> > >         your firewall.
> > >         hth,
> > >         kent
> >
> > I used pmfirewall too, but the problem with it is, that it only blocks
> > certain things it knows about. The default stand is allow (!). In my
> > opinion that is not so good. It should be deny unless the port is
> > explicitly opened up. I think that this would be possible via a script
> > setup too and much better. I don't know "seawall". Maybe that does it
> > better.
> > However, if you don't want to learn at least something about ipchains
> > and some basics about what a firewall can do, then maybe it is ok. But
> > then you will not know, how much security you got.
>
> I think you may be mistaken on this point. The policy PMFirewall
> defaults to is ACCEPT but, at least on my installation, the last rule,
> in my input chain, is:

Yep the policy is ACCEPT.

> target     prot opt     source                destination        ports
>  .
>  .
>  .
> DENY       all  ----l-  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0             n/a
>
> I'm no ipchains expert, but I believe that this rule implies that if
> none of the previous rules caused the packet to be accepted it'll be
> denied here.

I would not call myself an ipchains expert either. I'm still learning
that firewall stuff myself.

> Now personally in addition to leaving the rule above as the last one
> in my input chain I set the policy to DENY, just as a precaution,
> but, I *think*, it's redudant given the rule above.

Well I had someone portscan me from outside and he found a number of
ports not blocked, even though I opted to have only SSH open during
setup. Don't know why that was, but it's not good. Therefore I went
ahead and did a setup with policy on DENY. For learning pmfirewall
served me well though.

> And of course the nice thing about a script approach like PMFirewall
> is that it's easy to modify as you learn more about ipchains.

Yes as above, but sometimes it's better to know that you don't have the
security of a packet filter than to be mistaken about the level of
securtiy you really have.

Greetings
Thorsten Manegold