Firewall for use with cable modem?

I have spent much of the day getting more and more confused about
firewalls and Linux. I am having a cable modem installed soon and want my
system to be secure. I have only the one computer, and am running Woody.

Is there a free (or low-cost) firewall which will work on Debian? I don't
feel confident enough to be messing with ipchains and such. I had a look
at Storm Firewall, but this is expensive at 99USD and seems way over the
top for what I would need on a single workstation.

I downloaded gfcc, but don't understand what to do with it. I have read
the Firewall HOWTO but I really don't grasp much of it. I am embarassed to
admit that I really want an out-of-box solution - something I can install
and perhaps tweak a little as I get more confident. I don't do anything
out of the ordinary on the Internet, just the usual mail, news and web. I
occasionally use ReadAudio and ftp, but not a lot else.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

--
Phillip Deackes