Re: Problems removing kdebase

Jan Ulrich Hasecke <juh@pironet.de> wrote:
>I am running potato. Some days ago I removed xdm, and apt-get tried to
>remove all the kde-packages with it. Only kdebase was not removed. Now
>it is impossible to dist-upgrade new files.
>
>This is the errormessage:
>
>8<----------------------------schnipp------------------------------
>Removing kdebase ...
>dpkg: error processing kdebase (--remove):
> subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
>Errors were encountered while processing:
> kdebase
>E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>8<----------------------------schnapp------------------------------

Out of curiosity, does editing /var/lib/dpkg/info/kdebase.postrm,
changing the second instance of 'wm-menu-config' to
'/usr/sbin/wm-menu-config', and trying the removal again work? If so,
I'll file a bug if you want. If not, try changing '/bin/sh' in the first
line to '/bin/sh -x' and show us the output from another apt-get run.

>Can I safely force removing it with "dpkg -r --force kdebase"?  Or can
>it eventually destroy the package-database in any way?

Possibly (I can't honestly remember), but --force is rarely a good idea.
It's better to get the bug fixed.

Regards,