Re: Debian and Pentium 4

csj@mindgate.net schrieb:

> >From Linuxgram Issue No 147 is this piece titled "Most Linux Cuts Won't
> Install on Pentium 4." Quoting: "In another one of those awkward little
> moments that we have come to expect from Intel, the chip giant has confirmed
> that only Red Hat and TurboLinux can be installed on Pentium 4 boxes. The
> rest of the Linux herd won't run on the hardware."
>
> http://www.linuxgram.com/newsitem.phtml?sid=108&aid=11373
>
> What's the real deal? Will Debian run on the new Pentium 4 or not? Or is just
> a case of a few tweaks to some config files?

The german computer-mag c't has tried it out:

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/result.xhtml?url=/newsticker/data/jk-11.12.00-003/default.shtml&words=Pentium

Debian works with P4, Redhat and SuSE do sometimes. The problem is the
IO-apic routine, which is called if you have a kernel with smp-support.

joerg

--
Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
will hear the voice of Satan?

That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.