dpkg "was interrupted" error - you must run dpkg --configure -a

dpkg "was interrupted".  You must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'

Well, I tried:  "failed to write status record about gnome-pim to
var/log/dpkg/status;   no space left on device"

I guess I have run out of space.  Had about 930 megs in ext2
partition and I am only trying to install from Debian CDROM #1.
I'm a newbie.  What's the best way to free up enough space to
complete the install.  All I need now are Xwindows, Gnome, and
Netscape.  Is there something like CleanSweep for Linux??

TIA for help,

dave