RE: Oracle

I know this is sacrilege, but I found it fairly easy to install oracle on an
intel box running solaris. you can get the cd-rom set for solaris 8 from sun
for $80 and install it in as many places as you want.  You'll have to check
to ensure that your hardware is supported before trying to install solaris
8, otherwise you'll get stuck, because solaris intel supports a lot less
hardware than linux.  The media kit comes with an evaluation of oracle 8i
for solaris intel as an freebie.

Of course, it's easiest to install oracle under NT.

I wasn't successful getting oracle 8i to install and run on debian 2.1. This
was a couple of months ago, but getting a debian 2.2 disk proved to be very
difficult at the time, and I didn't have cycles to do the incremental
upgrade to potato or to download the ISOs and burn them, I had problems with
rsync, etc, etc. If you can get 2.2 disks easily you could be in a much
better situation.

In any case, you're going to have trouble running oracle with 64 MB of ram
under any OS. it will certainly be slow.

On intel hardware, Debian is tons better than solaris for most things and if
I had been able to get oracle installed I would have stopped using solaris
entirely, but if one only needs Oracle, ease of installation is paramount.

my 3c.

Braxton