apt-get with Packages out of arbitrary directory?

Hi all!

Is there a way to use apt-get on packages in a directory somewhere on a
system, that are not organized like archive and that do not have
Packages.gz files (how are those created anyhow?).

The reason I ask is, that I have a system that has fast internet access
and apt-get works great in such a situation. I also want to use the
downloaded packages, which I have apt-get leave undeleted, to update my
home system, which has only a 14400 Baud connection for e-mail, by
placing them on a CD. So far I had to install them manually via dpkg -i.
Apt-get was useless in that situation (or I did not know how to make it
usefull).

Any ideas?

TIA
Thorsten Manegold