Re: Banner server avoidence

Lee Elliott wrote:
<snip>
> What happens with this particular package is that there's a local file
> linking IP addreses to urls, that is checked before looking for it on
> the net, rather like a local DNS.  By linking ad/banner server urls to,
> say the local IP 127.0.0.1, the look-up fails and is abandoned with the
> result that you don't download anything from these servers i.e adverts
> etc :-)

So basically it speeds up web browsing by not downloading the banner ad
graphics?  If so, take a look at the junkbuster package.  I use it here and
it works quite nicely.  It's packaged for both potato and woody.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.