Re: Banner server avoidence

on Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 10:59:11PM +0000, Lee Elliott (LeeE@spatial.freeserve.co.uk) wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I saw this in a posting in an Amiga mailing list that I'm still
> subscribed to:
>
> >The first place Genesis looks for anything is in db/hosts, and
> > if the ad-servers are listed there it will attempt to get the
> > banners from the address given there. Since there are none,
> > the banner command will simply fail.
>
> and wondered if there was some way I could do something similar in
> Debian?
>
> What happens with this particular package is that there's a local file
> linking IP addreses to urls, that is checked before looking for it on
> the net, rather like a local DNS.  By linking ad/banner server urls to,
> say the local IP 127.0.0.1, the look-up fails and is abandoned with the
> result that you don't download anything from these servers i.e adverts
> etc :-)

Don Marti's posted a DNS hack which can be used to deny specific domains
on a sitewide basis, if you run DNS.  The advantage is that it's a
one-time rule which works transparently for all systems on the local
net.  The bad news is that an extensive list of blocked sites is likely
to be difficult to maintain and inconvenience some users:

  http://zgp.org/pipermail/linux-elitists/2000-April/000340.html

As others have suggested, Junkmail is a useful alternative for web
browsing.  The advantage is that comprehensive blocklists can be built
out of relatively few rules -- my file runs 126 lines total, including
whitespace and comments -- yet effectively blocks virtually all ads
through wildcard matches.

The disadvantage of Junkmail is that it is a proxy, and unless set up as
part of a systemwide transparent proxying system, some data can leak out
(or in) if user clients are not properly configured.  OTOH, it does
provide users with the option to individually configure their own
preferences -- at least on a per-box basis.

I use both methods.