Re: Surfboard 4100 cable modem?

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 07:31:17AM +0000, Phillip Deackes <gsmh@gmx.co.uk> was heard to say:
> >   I thought cable-modems generally were external things that used an
> > ethernet
> > board in the computer itself to hook the system up to the cable box.
> > However,
> > he says that Windows doesn't have a driver for any sort of Ethernet
> > card,
> > instead it has some sort of "Motorola Surfboard 4100" driver.  This
> > suggests
> > to me that they have their own private type of Ethernet card that will
> > have
> > to be handled.  Does anyone know first if this is correct, and second if
> > there's any hope of getting the Linux kernel to talk to these devices?
> > didn't see any promising drivers (aside from a SurfBoard 1000, which is
> > completely different) in the kernel.
>
> The Surfboard 4100 can indeed be connected to a Linux box. As long as the
> Linux box has an ethernet card and is configured correctly to use it, the
> Surfboard will work.
>
> The latest version of the Surfboard has an alternative method of
> connecting to the PC by using USB - maybe this is what you mean when you
> say that Windows appears to have a Surfboard driver and no ethernet
> driver?

  Ah, maybe that's what's happening.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like
there's a driver for the USB interface, if that's what they're using. :( So I
guess they'll have to buy more hardware if they want to use Linux, or wait
for someone to write one..

   Thanks,
  Daniel

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> -----------------\
|                      Put no trust in cryptic comments.                      |