Re: Can you play sounds over the net in Potato?

On 17 Dec 2000, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> on Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 01:19:18PM +0000, Anthony Campbell (a.campbell@doctors.org.uk) wrote:
> > Various sites offer you the option to play sound over the net but all
> > require you to have some software to enable this.  I followed some links
> > for this in Linux Debian but they were all for Woody, which I don't want
> > to upgrade to yet.
> >
> > Is there anything available for Potato?
>
> This is a question which requires a case-by-case answer.
>
>   - Primitive file formats (e.g.:  *.au, *.wav), can be handled through
>     the 'play' command (sox package).
>
>   - *.ra and *.ram are played by the proprietary RealPlayer player,
>     there's a Debian wrapper package but you have to download the
>     program yourself.
>
>   - Flash is supported with the Shockwave Flash plugin for Netscape,
>     Mozilla, etc.  Think twice before accepting it -- there's a hell of
>     a lot of Flash abuse on the Net right now.
>
>   - Some movie formats play with xanim, though this is primitive.
>     There's an xmms plugin for handling several other formats.
>
>   - Quicktime and Windows Media Player formats don't currently play
>     under GNU/Linux natively, though you might check with Wine
>     emulation.
>
> --
> Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
>  Evangelist, Zelerate, Inc.                      http://www.zelerate.org
>   What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?      There is no K5 cabal
>    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/        http://www.kuro5hin.org

Thanks for the clarification. I'm very new to sound and was not familiar
with all the formats. I've come across some of the .ram files so I'll
look into the RealPlayer option.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.2 (Windows-free zone)
Over 100 book reviews: http://www.cix.co.uk/~acampbell/bookreviews/

"Palo y tente tieso." (Spanish proverb)
Free translation: "Holdfast is your only dog."