Re: ssh: localhost: Temporary failure in name resolution

kmself@ix.netcom.com writes:

> on Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 10:41:05AM +0100, Andre Berger (uzscd5@uni-bonn.de) wrote:
> > kmself@ix.netcom.com writes:

> > > Possibly reverse-DNS lookup from the sshd server -- check your logs.  Is
> > > your DNS server (named) running, if you are using local DNS?  I've had
> > > issues with servers failing to restart during/after recent updates, tend
> > > to go through them by hand or script these days.
> Shit, I don't know, I just roll into /var/logs, do an 'ls -t | head
> -<number>' to see what's reporting current activity, and grep for the
> daemon I'm looking for.  Usually /var/log/daemon.
>
> You're looking for any sshd refused connect errors.  If you're not
> seeing these messages, you're not even getting there.
>
> Other thing to try is 'ssh -v host' -- this will give verbose output on
> the status of the connection, allowing you to troubleshoot from the
> client end.

I found nothing in any log or additional information with 'ssh -v',
but I found a work-around. I added

Host localhost
        HostName 127.0.0.1

to /etc/ssh/ssh_config, and 'ssh localhost' now gives
"andre@127.0.0.1's password:" and access.

But still I don't understand what's wrong.

--
Andre Berger                                   <andre.berger@topmail.de>