Re: installing pine

Dwight Johnson <dwj@aaronsrod.com> said:

> So I am very surprised to hear you say that you think Pine is clunkier than
> mutt. I would welcome learning in what ways.

I cut my teeth on Pine and Pico.  About a year ago, I started playing with
mutt, and was quickly frustrated by the appearant complexity and non-intuitive
interface, so I gave up.

Six months later, I finally learned how to use vi instead of pico for
everything, and realized that intuitiveness is a matter of perspective; you
just have to be in the right frame of mind.  Now it's hard for me to use pico
(nano) for anything useful, let alone editing complex files.  Once you become
accustomed to mutt, the keybindings, making your own filters, et cetera, pine
will become like a pair of training wheels; crucial at one time, but
impossible to use now.

Trust me, it's worth using for a week.  I still don't use mutt because of the
high volume of mail I receive and process every day at work.  On the other
hand, for my personal accounts, mutt is the only client I'll use willingly.
There are also a number of tools on the interet to make configuring and
extending mutt easier; check Freshmeat.net.

--
-=|JP|=-
Jon Pennington        | Atipa Linux Solutions