mixer defaults

Hi,
My sound defaults to a very low level in GNOME for some reason.  I set it to
maximum in the GNOME mixer, and saved the settings.  This only seems to save
the settings for the mixer program itself though, meaning I have to run the
mixer on startup for the settings to actually be applied.
Is there a way to change the default volume at a lower level than running a
mixer program, like changing a config file somewhere?  Or would I need to
run a terminal-based mixer from a startup script?
Thanks for any help.

Tim