Re: Sound is working for everything but cds

    ap> Okay, I know this is a boring issue, but I've now finally got
    ap> sound working okay (as evidenced by the fact that I can play
    ap> .wav files at will), but I still can't play cds.  The cd's
    ap> spin, and if I plug headphones into the jack in the CD-ROM
    ap> drive I hear the music, so I know the player is working fine.
    ap> It also works fine under That Other Operating System Whose
    ap> Name We Shall Not Speak, so I know the connections are okay.

    ap> I've used a mixer to bring up the volume on the CD input, and
    ap> I can hear .wav files played so I know sound is working. But
    ap> there's no output from the sound card when playing audio cd's.

    ap> I'm not using ALSA at this point - just soundcore and
    ap> sonicvibes (the driver for my cound card).

    ap> Any ideas?

There usually needs to be a connection between the CD-ROM and the
sound card for CD playing to work.  The kernel sound driver isn't a
part of the whole equation.

So if there is a wire coming from the back of your CD-ROM that isn't
plugged in anywhere, try plugging it into your soundcard.
Unfortunately I can't be more specific because I am not able to see
your whole setup.

--
Chris