Sound is working for everything but cds

Okay, I know this is a boring issue, but I've now finally got sound
working okay (as evidenced by the fact that I can play .wav files at
will), but I still can't play cds.  The cd's spin, and if I plug
headphones into the jack in the CD-ROM drive I hear the music, so I know
the player is working fine.  It also works fine under That Other Operating
System Whose Name We Shall Not Speak, so I know the connections are okay.

I've used a mixer to bring up the volume on the CD input, and I can hear
.wav files played so I know sound is working. But there's no output from
the sound card when playing audio cd's.

I'm not using ALSA at this point - just soundcore and sonicvibes (the
driver for my cound card).

Any ideas?

Andrew J Perrin - Ph.D. Candidate, UC Berkeley, Dept. of Sociology
216 Oxford Hills Drive     |   aperrin@socrates.berkeley.edu
Chapel Hill NC 27514 USA   |   aperrin@igc.apc.org
(919) 929-3292             |   http://demog.berkeley.edu/~aperrin