Re: Porting applications to Debian

> Simon Broad wrote:
>
> I'm pretty new to Linux, but have been asked by a customer to port a
> Unix product to Debian.
>
> This may sound daft to a lot of you, but would I need to port the
> product on a Debian box or, as I already have SuSE and RH available
> will a port on one of these be OK?

  it depends on nature of application. if it is config tool, it would
not be that easy, that's where distros differ most. if it's general user
level application it should work in most main distros. if it's the same
platform you might even be able to use the same binary (the same version
of shared libs must be available).

 oracle's porting howto (from their comment on how they ported oracle to
linux): untar the tarball, run make. a bit simplified but that's how it
should work...

	erik