Re: Use of TTY7-TTY12

On Friday, 15 December 2000 at 17:49, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> Hi all
>
> In the debain sytem the tty7-12 are not used by default. How can i for
> example use TTY10 to schow me the messages file. If i log in in an other tty
> and type 'tail /var/log/messages > /dev/tty12' then it does show the changing
> of messages there but the other tty is blocked because tail is attached to
> the starter tty. How can i make that? Or generally: How can i detach any sort
> of apps from the ttys?

for the particular problem you mention, you might be happier adjusting
/etc/syslog.conf:

daemon,kern.*;*.=info;\
        mail.!info;daemon.!debug;\
        *.=notice;*.=warn       /dev/tty12

in general I think what you want to do is redirect stdin and stderr as
well as stdout. From my inittab:

11:23:respawn:/usr/bin/gitps axf < /dev/tty11 > /dev/tty11 2>&1

also there is the openvt command, so you could do something like

openvt -c 12 -- tail /var/log/messages

I think... I don't really ever use openvt...

--
Don't make Godzilla mad!