Re: Re: SBLive working but something is missing

>---- Begin Original Message ----
>From: "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@storm.ca>
>On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 12:15:46PM +0100, Kai Weber wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> my sblive works well with Kernel >= 2.2.17. But I think, there shoul be
>> some more devices for sound than /dev/dsp*? Sometimes I read errors in
>> logfiles about missing /dev/sndstat or similiar. What does this mean and
>> how can I get it working?
>>
>> $ cat /dev/sndstat
>> cat: /dev/sndstat: No such device
>> $ ls -l /dev/sndstat
>> crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   6 Sep 30 09:50 /dev/sndstat
>>
>> I read some documentation but before reading all the rest I ask whether
>> already a solutions exists...
>
>    I'm using an SBLive Value!, and I would appear to have a /dev/sndstat.
>
>    I don't know why they wouldn't be created, but the MAKEDEV script should
>do the trick, no?
>
>---- End Original Message ----

I have an es1371, and it has no /dev/sndstat file.
I posted a question about that a few days ago, this is the answer I got:

                   > * romain lerallut (rom1@catsrule.garfield.com) wrote:
                   >>> - there's nothing in /dev/sndstat _(the file "exists" but cat
                   >>> /dev/sndstat say no such device)
                   >>> - there's no /proc/sound file
                   >>
                   >>      This is normal since the es1371 driver is not fully OSS
                  compatible.
                   Thorsten
                   E-Mail: Manegold@uni-trier.de

so MAKEDEV won't change anything about /dev/sndstat

I don't know about SB Live drivers put this seems to be the same problem......

I think it would be a good idea to clearly define what is OSS-related and what isn't, so one
wouldn't look for a bug that isn't really there.