Kernel patches (Was: make-kpkg question)

> you definitely do not want use the patches for 2.2.18 with any
> other kernel, unless you really know what you are doing (you
> would have to make sure that the files that the patch changes
> are unchanged between 2.2.18 and whatever you will use).

This brings up another question: According to what I understand
from the docs, if I already have the original 2.2.17 source
(apt-get kernel-source-2.2.17), then I can download the newest
patch-2.2.18-pre* from kernel.org and use it to get the latest
2.2.18 kernel source tree.

Is this correct, and if so, would I then be able to add patches
that are intended for 2.2.18 kernels on top of the resulting
source tree, and so on, and so on?

It's just that a complete kernel source tree is ip to 15 Megs
nowadays, whereas the patches are only 2.5 Megs. If the results
are the same, then its obviously preferable to save bandwidth
(not to mention download time), and use the patches instead.

--
Cheers
   .~.