more apt-get help please??

HI all. The other day someone posted info about
apt-get. welp, in all my debian excitement I've
misplaced it somewhere... I have looked all over
the debian web site but couldn't find any info on
how to set up apt-get. (I know I saw it
somewhere..)
anyways, if anyone can point me to where some
info can be found I'd greatly appreciate it.
I installed the base system (11 disks) and the
driver set (4 disks)
currently my apt.conf and sources.list are empty.

I do have an internet connection (33.6)

Thanks!!
Xucaen

P.S.
Thank you to all who pointed me to /etc/profile.
worked like a charm.  :-)