Re: Debian CD in store

on Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 03:53:29PM -0500, iehrenwald@earthlink.net (iehrenwald@earthlink.net) wrote:
> I was browsing Software Etc and saw the Debian retail CD.  Is this Debian
> 2.1 or 2.2?  It didn't say on the box anywhere.  If it's 2.2 I'll pick it
> up.  Thanks.

If it's the yellowish boxed set with a Myth demo CD in the shrinkwrap,
and SGI and VALinux labeling, it's the 2.1 "Slink-and-a-half" boxed set.

By most accounts, it's a PoS, won't install, and is worth getting mostly
for the O'Reilly book included, though it too largely sucks.

Better to get the ~ US$10 set from LinuxCentral or another online
vendor, and either the Debian hardcopy docs or the Sams book:

    Installing Debian Gnu/GNU/Linux
    By Down, Thoma
    Online Price: $19.95
    ISBN: 0672317451
    Date Published: 11/1999

(Which actually includes a *usable* Slink install).

http://www1.fatbrain.com/asp/bookinfo/bookinfo.asp?theisbn=0672317451&vm=