Re: 2.4.0-test12kernel problem

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 02:50:21PM -0200, Christoph Simon wrote:

> Actually, I did use this since quite a while, but then, there is at
> least one situation, when it doesn't (can't) work: If I compile the
> same kernel with different options (for instance to test tuning
> options), calling them, say 2.2.18a and 2.2.18b, it will not read
> normally The Right System.map file. It's a pitty, that this is not
> taken from the kernel's name (vmlinux-2.2.18a). But of course this
> isn't even possible since the kernel is loaded much earlier than any
> file system...

i assume you mean just compiling two different versions of plain
2.2.18, your correct you will have a collision on the
System.map-2.2.18 files, but more importantly you will have a
collision of /lib/modules/2.2.18.  there is a very simple solution to
this, edit the kernel top level Makefile and add a value to
EXTRAVERSION.  then your uname -r output will be say 2.2.18-1 and your
System.map and modules will be named appropriately.  and everything
still finds it fine.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/