Re: HT get around xdm

Glenn Becker wrote:

Hi,

This is a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone had tried the package
yh, which is a Chinese-language console package. I installed it last
night, couldn't *quite* make my way around ... and when I exited, my
display went black. Nothing, nothing, nothing ... and when I rebooted, I
got xdm, which I'd previously removed (I don't like xdm much).

Then, once I'd logged into X, the mouse pointer was somewhere between
erratic and frozen: a couple of times I got a menu to pop up or some
motion, but otherwise nada.

In essence I'm wondering if there's any way "around" xdm given that I seem
to have a mostly frozen X display. A key command? some kind of trick while
booting? I'm desperate.

I had retreated to Potato after being burned by Woody a few times, but I'd
recently begun *very selectively* adding Woody apps & had wound up with a
system I liked a lot. The yh package was the latest of these additions,
and I seem to have busted the thing again ....

Thanks for any insights,

// G l e n n  B e c k e r                                                |

[1]
From the black screen, try Ctrl-Alt-F1 to switch to the first virtual console. From there, you can remove or disable xdm.

or

[2]
At the LILO prompt at the beginning of bootup, type 'linux single' to boot into single user mode. This will let you make any changes you need to make.