Network Monitoring recommendation

I am looking for a tool to monitor the through-put of my connection to the internet. I want to know if my connection is maxing out, or my users just have slow connections to the internet. Is there a debian package to do this, or a recommendation otherwise? Can these tools determine what kind of traffic it is (http,ftp,etc.)?

I'm using apache on woody, I know apache does some statistics with server-status but seems to only show averages over uptime.

Thanks for you help,

-Craig