ld.so error message

I have recently recompiled my 2.0.36 kernel, and since then have
experienced the following problem: at some point after booting up the
machine (the amount of time before it happens varies), I get an error
message regarding the dynamic linker on the command line. The machine
will not execute any further commands, it simply repeats the error
message.  The computer is a Pentium 90, 32 Meg or RAM.

The error message is:
BUG IN DYNAMIC LINKER ld.so:..sysdeps/i386/dl-machine.h: 291:
elf_machine_rel: Assertion  '! "unexpected dynamic reloc type"' failed!

ldconfig -D reveals several libraries with "inconsistent soname"

Since I'm not yet very familiar with the dynamic linker and its
functions, can someone tell me whether reinstalling ld will solve this,
or what will repair this problem?  Is this a result of a compile error,
or a corruption of ld.so?

Thanks for any help with this,
Bruce